Monday, December 3, 2007

Website Evaluation I

  1. Name of Website:

· Online Trombone Journal

  1. Web Site Address:

· www.trombone.org

  1. Copyright date and//or last update:

  1. Author/Organization credentials:

· Richard Human, Jr. Founder

  1. Web site design and ease of use:

We venture back into the realm of user-friendly websites. This web site has a very inviting home page presentation. One is not overwhelmed by an overabundance of information. On the left-hand side of the page, one will find recent news; however, this news is only in the form of a caption. The link takes you to a page devoted to the news story. The site has a great search bar. The bar does not take you away from the site. It keeps you within the site. (Which is an added bonus.) There are drop down boxes for events, classifieds, directories, and a trombone journal. The site has a great deal of articles written by the best musicians on the instrument. Also, the site boasts the best forum for trombone players on the entire web. This has proven beneficial to my education. I will explain this in further detail later.

  1. My response for use:

The trombone website is a great factor in my musical education. I feel that if I can learn from this site, my students may also do the same thing. The best part for other music educators is this; you have access to some of the world’s best teachers. You can aim all of your questions right at them. I think aspiring band directors should take the time to ask questions. Honestly, we do not bite. Secondly, there is a fantastic link to classified instruments. Here, you can find instruments for you beginning, intermediate and even advanced students. You can find all the other materials such as mouthpieces. You have a great assortment of material from which to choose. Don’t know which to buy? Ask your question on the form. There is also a directory of trombonist in all symphonies in the United States. Let us say you have a student whom is willing to take private lessons. One can come to this site and search for a trombonist in the area. The site also has extensive archives of material that spans from the beginning of the web site to the present. Here you can search for information, not only pertinent to teaching of the trombone, but to teaching music in general. This is my favorite site to browse. I always find something useful for myself and for my students. I feel that other music educators can do the same.

No comments: